[clue] RHEL 5.6 and OpenSSL questions

Mike Nolte obiwanmikenolte at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 17:24:28 MDT 2015

As you seem to know, the short answer is that you probably can't do it
without breaking packaging, at least a li'l.  The longer answer depends on
what else is installed on the machine and reliant on OpenSSL.  You'd
ultimately have to compile from source.  You could make a package from that
compilation, and you could even set the version on the package to fool
other packages into believing that it isn't the version that it is.
Applications may well break, though.  It all depends on the ones that you
care about and how they operate.  On the bright side, you're immune to
Heartbleed!

Now, the obvious question: why not upgrade/migrate?