[clue] Self hosting email in 2015

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 16:19:52 MDT 2015

Budget?

If you want to do BSD, it seems like running postfix and courier-imap on
some COTS hardware would be a straightforward answer. There are a number of
gui tools that can help manage them, but my setups are simple enough that I
just do it by hand. It's powerful enough to handle real volumes of mail on
reasonable hardware.

There are also a number of appliances that can play this role. I really
like Synology for this sort of thing, though I've never used their mail
server piece: https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/all_in_one_server

Really though, doing mail well is tricky enough now that it probably pays
to use a hosted service. If your goal is really a "generally ignorable
system that just works", this is far and away the most cost effective route
to that goal. The economies of scale and concentration of expertise at a
provider just can't be beat. If there are other concerns of course that
calculus changes.

QH