[clue] Juju.

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 09:32:54 MST 2016

I looked at it real hard for deploying an openstack cluster about 2 years
ago. I found juju to be interesting, but it required a lot of underlying
tools to make it usable for my application (notably MAAS, which was also
really cool, but overkill for my needs) and the charms, frankly, didn't
work for me. If you want to do exactly what they do, they work as
advertised. If not, it's "yet another thing to learn", and it's not
trivial. I ended up replacing the whole thing with some simple PXE boot
stuff and some shell scripts. I probably could have gotten juju to do what
I wanted, but it would have taken me weeks, when the initial setup and eval
also took weeks, and I was able to get my PXE and chef stuff going in just
over a day, sooo, I dunno.

I suppose if you have a use case that meshes well with it, have nothing
else in place, and have enough stuff going on to justify the setup
investment, it could be a cool system, but it's far from light. The visual
service deployment stuff is certainly neat, but I don't see that it
provides a lot of value.

QH