[clue] Wireshark

Mark G. Harvey markgharvey at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 17 22:38:56 MDT 2016

Gents,
Can the customer provide errors and/or symptoms encountered?  Can they quantify the problem?

Example:  ping results in latency of 1000ms ... way high latency.  I've actually seen negative ping times due to a CPU timing problem.

What about DNS lookup & resolution?  How many network hops to the DNS server?  Is the DNS server local or on the Internet?

Consider doing a tcpdump from a linux machine connected to the network.  Might need to put the network interface in promiscuous mode first, then run the dump.
Save the dump file off to a pen drive.  Then attach that drive to a laptop with Wireshark, import the dump file & analyse it.  This way, you can eliminate the connection of Wireshark to the network as a cause.
Also, make sure the switches are not wired in a loop.  Spanning Tree Protocol can cause a packet storm by forwarding packets in that loop.  I've seen VoIP phones do this on a UDP port.

Other causes to look for:

Are machines listening on the correct & expected ports?   Verified from another machine using nc?  Firewall ports open?

As you can see, there are a ton of questions to ask when investigating a problem like this.
Anyway, my $0.02
HTH