[clue] CM for a small sysadmin.

Chris Fedde chris at fedde.us
Tue Mar 29 10:35:29 MDT 2016

Pull vs push is always one of those important arguments that leans heavily
on a teams political organization and coupling between server roles.

Much "site wide" stuff and even per node stuff can be factored off the
local box and into shared network resources like LDAP, DNS, NFS, and the
like.
With total control of the nodes the need for per-system customization via a
CM tool is minimized.  Much of the time a good network boot script and a
'dpkg --get-selections' file can go a long way to getting the server
complex up and running and properly customized with the right bits.  System
drift can be corrected by rebuilding it.

With this kind of organization then there are typically only a few files or
services that you might want to manage directly on nodes.   A very simple
CM system will meet that need.

chris