[clue] Net+ cert worth it?

Tue Jul 18 12:05:36 MDT 2017

Training and certification is my life-long area of concentration. I am Network+ certified forever, because I got the cert a million years ago, before it was normal for certs to expire. I also took and passed Microsoft's Network Essentials (or was it Fundamentals?). Anyway...

Find the most *practical* material you can, and practice. Your ROI is not simple. The letters after your name add little to your salary value, alone, and maybe nothing, depending on the company they're in. However, if you *practice* your way to the cert, especially with a group of committed peers, you will benefit in more than salary.

- You will make and keep a commitment. Willingness and ability (reliability) are (is) probably more important than any other skill.
- Your network troubleshooting will improve. (I like Element K material for formalizing the T-shooting process, but I think experience and developed intuition matter as much as good process.)
- If you study with peers, your social skills will improve. Especially if you maintain an expectation that you will not let them down.
- You will enjoy the time you spend studying and practicing and you might even enjoy the challenge of the exam.

All those things will add tremendously to your salary negotiation skill, and to your benefit to the team you are placed on, which is measured against your costs, of which salary is one, to determine your value. You want to keep your value to your employer positive. (You make a reverse measure when determining whether to stay in a job, or seek/accept a new offer.)

Teacher, Engineer, Evangelist
COA LFCS CCAH RHCE CLP
Mobile 720-333-LANS(5267)
http://sofree.us