[clue] Btrfs

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Sat Feb 16 17:01:40 MST 2019

I have not. I have been using ZFS for a few years in an arms-length, and
set-and-forget kind of way (via FreeNAS which I use for massive amounts
of storage at home), and it works well enough. *knocks on wood*. I've
read that ZFS has been ported to Linux, too. I've read about Btrfs and
comparisons to ZFS - it seemed at the time that Btrfs was more of a
first-class citizen on Linux than ZFS was.

I recently bought a low-end laptop at Microcenter (older Thinkpad) and
put OpenBSD on it first. Then I found I may be struggling a bit too much
to get the tooling I need/expect around Java/Groovy development, so I
thought I'd install FreeBSD, as it tends to be a bit more up on such
things than OpenBSD, but I figured I'd just go right to a Linux, and put
Mint on it.

For some reason, during that install process, the file system
considerations didn't even dawn on me. I just picked the defaults and
moved on. Now that you bring it up, I didn't even know what filesystem
it was using until I just looked - ext4, under LVM, it seems.

I have to admit, I've been ruminating on and experimenting on containers
and orchestration a lot for work, and I think that's distorting my view
on what I think about when it comes to OSes. For better or for worse.

Anyway, please do share your findings and impressions. Have you tried
ZFS on Linux at all? I'd be curious as to where one would be a better
choice than the other.