[clue] generations of file systems

Chris Fedde chris at fedde.us
Mon Mar 25 10:06:24 MDT 2019

JFS, XFS are in "Gen 4" by this nomenclature.
UFS2 and FFS/LFS start approaching Gen5 but don't fully integrate volume
management like BTRFS and ZFS do.

It does get kind of fuzzy if you include LVM as part of the "disk
management system" as the contemporary systems do.
While it's not strictly part of the 'file system' it is well part of the
overall stack useful for dealing with storage.

Advanced disk controllers can blur the lines even further.    One of the
hardest things I've see junior and even some senior admins (aka devops
engineers) work through is all the layering that goes into a modern server
technology stack and that's before we get into distributed disk access and
network file systems, virtualization, containerization and cloud.

I know that there are zeros and ones somewhere down near the bottom but I'm
not sure I can keep all of it straight any more.

chris