Alpha doc [was Re: [CLUE-Adm] December Meeting Attendance]

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Thu Dec 13 19:38:17 MST 2001

Jef, et.al.

Crossed this reply to clue-tech.

The pdf Lynn found can be downloaded from:

http://www.clue.denver.co.us/linux_alpha_install_howto.pdf

If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll make a page where we can put links to
this.

Dave

From: Jef Barnhart <jdlabarnhart at attbi.com>
To: "clue-talk at clue.denver.co.us" <clue-talk at clue.denver.co.us>,
        "clue-admin at clue.denver.co.us" <clue-admin at clue.denver.co.us>
Date: 13 Dec 2001 19:51:51 -0700
Subject: [CLUE-Adm] Alpha Install
Sender: clue-admin-admin at clue.denver.co.us

This is how I was able to get Red Hat to install on the machine that I
have.

This machine is an AlphaStation 255 with the AlphaBios 5.68
I am using Red Hat 7.1 for Alpha

1) Make 3 disks.
A. unzip the the file /milo/images/xl.img from the cdrom.

B. dd the image to a floppy.
(This will copy linload.exe and MILO to the disk.)
# dd if=/path/to/xl.img of=/dev/fd0

C. dd the image generic.img from the cdrom directory /images
# dd if=/path/to/generic.img of=/dev/fd0

D. dd the image ramdisk.img from the cdromdirectory /images
# dd if=/path/to/ramdisk.img of=/dev/fd0

2) Start the machine.
A. press <F2> to get to the bios setup.
B. using the down arrow, go down until the line Utilities is
highlighted.
C. use the left arrow to select OS Selection Setup...
D. to add a line to boot from the floppy use the <INSTERT> key
  (All the keys that you can use in this screen are at the    bottom of
the screen.)
E. add the following lines.
Boot Name: Linux floppy
Boot File: A: \linload.exe
OS Path: CD: \
F. press <ENTER>
  (The bios will not like this.)
G. press <ENTER> again.
  (You should now have another stansa with linux floppy as the
  boot device.)
H. press <F10> to save the changes.
G. press <ENTER> to config that you really want to save the   changes.
I. press <ESC>
J. press <ESC> once more.
K. highlight the OS that you wish to boot and place the floppy   with
the xl.img and press <ENTER>
L. after a little time you should have a MILO prompt.
M. eject the xl.img floppy and insert the generic.img floppy.
N. at the MILO boot the generic.img disk.
MILO> boot fd0:
O. it should come back with boot: and a flashing curser. enter   linux
and press <ENTER>
boot: linux
P. eject the generic.img floppy and insert the ramdisk.img   floppy and
press <ENTER>

At this point you should be installing Red Hat. This is as far as I have
gotten. I had it installed but could not get it to reboot. As soon as