[CLUE-Adm] Silent Auction

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Mon Dec 31 08:07:44 MST 2001

Greetings,

Over the holidays, I spent some time in my cave (as my wife calls it) and
found several hardware peripherals.

+Bay Networks 4 port hub
+4 SCSI HDD
+SCSI DAT drive (HP)
+ISA SCSI adapter card
+Tower case

As some of you know, we are raising money to purchase our own overhead
projector.  We collected $54 at last month's meeting.  I thought I would sell
these items for nominal prices - $5 to $15 each an throw the money into the
pot.  I would hope to get another $20 to $50.

Then, I thought that I am probably not the only one in CLUE with computer
hardware lying around (easy guess!).  So, I thought maybe we could do a
silent auction of computer hardware with proceeds going toward projector.

I would just donate my items and hope that other CLUEbies would too.  This is
the protocol for a silent auction.  However, we could collect a portion of
the proceeds from folks if we think that would entice them to donate auction
items.  For example, 30% of the sale price could go to CLUE.

The silent auction would run during the meeting and we would collect after
the main presentation.  We could set up items in the hall outside the meeting
room.  I think if we start the bidding at nominal fees, it would be popular.

The only danger is that folks will bring very old hardware which would not
sell -- e.g., a 40 MB HDD.  We would have to have a disclaimer that if the
item does not sell, the owner would have to take it with him.  We also would
want stuff that works, but would not be responsible if it does not.

What do you guys think?  January meeting is probably too soon, but February
could work.  If the admin folks are into it, I would suggest the idea at the
January meeting to see if the CLUEbies like it.