[CLUE-Adm] Silent Auction

Lynn Danielson lynnd at techangle.com
Mon Dec 31 12:36:12 MST 2001

> I would just donate my items and hope that other CLUEbies would too.  This is
> the protocol for a silent auction.  However, we could collect a portion of
> the proceeds from folks if we think that would entice them to donate auction
> items.  For example, 30% of the sale price could go to CLUE.
>
> The silent auction would run during the meeting and we would collect after
> the main presentation.  We could set up items in the hall outside the meeting
> room.  I think if we start the bidding at nominal fees, it would be popular.
>
> The only danger is that folks will bring very old hardware which would not
> sell -- e.g., a 40 MB HDD.  We would have to have a disclaimer that if the
> item does not sell, the owner would have to take it with him.  We also would
> want stuff that works, but would not be responsible if it does not.
>
> What do you guys think?  January meeting is probably too soon, but February
> could work.  If the admin folks are into it, I would suggest the idea at the
> January meeting to see if the CLUEbies like it.

Sounds like a great idea.  I've got a few things I could contribute, but
most of it is old IDE stuff.

I've got a bunch of ethernet cards (and some old video cards) that Match
donated a while back for install fests.  Perhaps we could hold on to a
couple of the ethernet cards, especially the PCI ones for install fests
and put the rest on the auction.  They're not worth much, but they might
bring in a decent donation.

I like the disclaimer idea.  Putting a minimum bid on some items is also a
good idea. Otherwise someone will inevitably put a dollar bid on everything.
Managing a division of collections for some items (a portion goes to the
owner and a percentage is given to CLUE) sounds like a headache, but it
might prompt some newer and higher quality items to be put on the auction.
To bad you didn't come up with this idea before Mike Haley gave away all
of the Alphas. ;-)

February could work, but I'd suggest putting it out at least another month.
I'm sure you could pull it off, but I think it will come together better if
we give it more time and announce it at more than one meeting.  More time
would allow us to gather more junk (I mean sale items) and hype up the event.

Are you thinking of holding the silent auction in conjunction with one of
our regular meetings?

Lynn