[CLUE-Adm] Website -> PHP

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Sun Feb 18 15:37:31 MST 2001

Jeff,

Cool.  I just learned what PHP was so I'm interested in what it can do.
See commens inline.

Kevin

"Jeffery C. Cann" wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> I migrated the CLUE web site from 'htmlpp' to PHP.  It is live on ta8 as of
> this afternoon.
>
> You should see almost no difference in the web site.  Note that I configured
> Apache on ta8 to run 'html' pages as PHP applications.  This means that any
> <?php ?> tags in html pages will be parsed by the PHP interpreter.  I did
> this because I didn't want to rename all the CLUE web pages from .html to
> .php.
>
> The new PHP files are static and we will work on adding the features we
> talked about using PHP + MySQL.  The goal of the new features is to move the
> CLUE web site maintenance from static (i.e., hand-editing html pages) to
> dynamic (i.e., put info in database, have html pages use PHP to get info from
> database to generate pages).  Note that not all information on the CLUE web
> site will be dynamically generated.  In fact, 90% of the information on the
> CLUE web site is static.  This means only information related to the
> following portions of the site will be in the database:
>
> 1. Meeting Sponsors
> 2. Meeting Prizes
> 3. News and Notes
> 4. Meeting Abstracts
> 5. KISS Abstracts

While I agree that the above is dynamic pages, if we were to create a
more interactive web site maybe that would attract more people to get
involved.  Just a thought.  Also, I see by Mailman on our various email
list that traffic is WAY down over last summer and I was trying to come
up with ways to increase that.

> The next steps are:
> - - Create CVS repository on ta8.  I am working on this currently and soon will
> send out instructions for pulling source code from the repository.
> - - Create CLUEDB in MySQL.  The database will contain the tables necessary to
> support data entry of the 5 entities noted above.

Will this be available for ALL CLUE members or just the admin people?

> - - Build data entry forms for database tables.
> - - Tie CLUE web site to CLUEDB using PHP.  For example, the 'News and Notes'
> section on the home page will be populated using a database query, rather
> than hand-editing the CLUE home page.
>
> Jim Intriglia told me that he wants to help build the dynamic portions of the
> web site.  If anyone else is interested (I belive Lynn is), please let me
> know.

I'm interested to learn since I'm not at you guy's level of
sophistication ;-)  When would we get together (I'm assuming)?