[CLUE-Adm] Website -> PHP

Jeffery C. Cann jccann at home.com
Sun Feb 18 17:53:40 MST 2001

On Sunday 18 February 2001 15:37, Kevin wrote:

> While I agree that the above is dynamic pages, if we were to create a
> more interactive web site maybe that would attract more people to get
> involved.  Just a thought.

My thought is that the mail lists are interactive.  If we were to add a forum
/ discussion area to the CLUE site, I think we would fight the involvement on
the email list.  In addition, with sites like Slashdot (and the hundreds of
/. clones) wouldn't CLUE just become a copycat?  Maybe we should check other
prominent LUG web sites in the country.  The last time I did this, there were
few interactive ones.

IMHO - The primary purpose of the CLUE home page is to disseminate info to
the members.

One interactive idea that I support is a user-contribution section.  This is
where folks can upload scripts, programs, documentation that we can easily
publish and share in the web site.  I have proposed this before and there was
good support amoung the CLUE membership.  What do you think about this idea?

> Also, I see by Mailman on our various email
> list that traffic is WAY down over last summer and I was trying to come
> up with ways to increase that.

It does not appear that they are WAY down:

Clue Talk
Aug 00	116 messages
July 00  172 messages
Jun 00  102 messages

Jan 01  164 messages

I would be worried if our meeting attendance tapered off, but we always have
a full house (~60-70 folks each meeting).  I am sure we could attract more if
we were to market the group more aggressively.  OTH- we would need (again) a
bigger meeting room!

> Will this be available for ALL CLUE members or just the admin people?

We will set up anonymous public access via CVS.  This means that the code is
public-read only.  If you want to contribute to the code, make changes, add
new features, then you (as an individual) would get a CVS login that would
allow check-in of code.  For more info on CVS, checkout
http://www.cvshome.org.

> I'm interested to learn since I'm not at you guy's level of
> sophistication ;-)  When would we get together (I'm assuming)?

We probably will not get together immediately.  I need to build the
infrastructure that will allow multi-user development in a simple and easy
manner.  The first step is CVS.  Then the database and some example PHP
scripts.  I will provide some documentation on setting up your own
development environment.  Then at this point, we could get together...

Later.
Jeff