[CLUE-Admin] speakers needed

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Sat Dec 21 13:10:02 MST 2002

Lynn Danielson wrote:
> Guys,
>
> Many apologies, but I do not yet have a main speaker for
> January and I haven't confirmed a KISS presentation yet
> either.

I've been thinking about doing a DNS talk, but I don't really want to
work on it that soon.  People will get tired of hearing me (if they
aren't already).

If push comes to shove, perhaps a panel discussion, informal Q&A, or
ad-lib sort of thing.  When I heard Kent Beck talk, he wanted to pick
topics/questions by some sort of whiteboarding exercise--anyone know how
to do that?  If we do something informal I'd be happy to play a part,
however would be best.

The way I would approach DNS is to explaing the fundamentals for people
who want to know more than resolv.conf(5).  But I don't have a terrible
lot of experience beyond that.

Is there anyone with experience running any significant DNS setup that
could talk?  Tummy, Techangle, Americanisp (they use djbdns), Barb's outfit?

Cricket Liu could give the talk he did for FRUUG two weeks ago
(http://fruug.org/Archive/2002-12/writeup.html).  The talks I have heard
from him deal with security and assume an understanding of DNS and
running BIND servers.  You can look at his slides and see if you think
they're over our heads.  He might be willing to talk on a different
aspect of DNS instead.

Other ideas (off the top of my head, not necessarily worth considering):

Roger Frank on education (a contrast to John Hamilton's talk)

Jim Intriglia or David Wilson on their experience teaching in community
college.

Government people, like the Jefco guy that had Red Hat here.  There may
be some feds too.

I'd like to learn more about how ISPs operate--what their setups are
like, how they get upstream service, what their business models and
challenges are.

Zonker could talk to us about writing.  Not sure what angle would be
best, but there are several.