[CLUE-Admin] Fwd: On the Installfest

Lynn Danielson lynnd at techangle.com
Fri May 17 05:10:40 MDT 2002

Jeffery Cann wrote:

> Crawford offered to sell discounted copies of new distros at the next
> installfest.  I told him that I would pose it to the admins.  Does anyone
> have an opinion about his offer?

I like the idea.  I can't think of a more likely time for people to
be interested in buying a distribution on the spur of the moment.
The larger the installfest, the more likely this idea could really
take off and potentially pay off as a fund raiser for our projector.

But we're planning to be in a small space for this event, and there's
been some talk about not promoting this installfest outside of our
LUG.  I'm planning to bring some free distros, an old box set of SuSE
7.3, a CD-R set of Mandrake 8.2, hopefully another DVD-R of SuSE 8.0
and with any luck a copy or two of the lastest KRUD.  I suspect I'm
not the only one who will do so.  My point is that I believe Crawford
will see limited interest in the discounted copies because of the low
number of people involved and the fact that there will be an assortment
of free copies available.

If he's willing to do it anyway, that's great.  We could refrain
from bringing in free Linux distributions and encourage attendees to
purchase distro's from Crawford instead.  Do we want to do this?

Thinking about fundraising, we should set up the donation can in an
obvious location and encourage installfest attendees to contribute
if they're so inclined.

Lynn