[CLUE-Admin] Admin Steering Notes (9/21)

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Mon Sep 23 12:41:09 MDT 2002

* David Anselmi (anselmi at americanisp.net) wrote:
> Shoot, how'd I miss such an interesting meeting?
>
> El Presidente de CLUE wrote:
> >
> >3. CLUE Server
> >   + P2 / 350 MHz / 384 MB RAM / 6 GB HDD
> >   + Dave Anselmi to install and configure Debian
> >   + Mike Benavides possibly to trade 4 U rack mount for case
> >   + Jeff Cann will contact Mike and Dave regarding the hardware transfer.
>
> Cool, that's the easiest time I've had convincing someone to pick Debian ;-)
>
> My preference when running Debian has been to use the testing distro.
> Then apt-get update/upgrade will pull in all the latest packages in one
> shot.  I guess that the way the Debian folks expect production boxes to
> run is to put the stable distro on and they patch the stable packages to
> fix security problems.
>
> Anyone care how I configure the new server?

I have used Debian a lot, from both Stable, Testing, and Unstable.  For
the server, I would strongly recommend Stable.  There are problems
sometimes, even in Testing, with packages that won't install.  It can
leave the machine in limbo.  Doesn't happen a whole lot, but a server
doesn't need to be super cutting edge.  The core base of applications
eveolve slowly, it is the desktop stuff that move really fast.

There are no security concerns between Testing and Stable.  Any security
problems in Stable are fixed via a patch, rather than a wholesale
upgrade.  There have even been times when a security patch came first to
Stable, and took a bit longer to get to Testing/Unstable (the one that
comes to mind is the recent SSH vulnerability.

Tim