[CLUE-Admin] Fw: Item for website news section (Sat Aug 2 2003 09:17 pm)

Gus S. Calabrese wft at frii.com
Sun Aug 3 19:35:28 MDT 2003

This sounds okay to me ......
"Some CLUE members, working with the Nazi Party are
planning to use Linux to track the movements of Jews....
CLUE provides this information as a public service and
has no official affiliation with the above activity and does not
offer any endorsement, pro or con for this activity.

On Sunday, Aug 3, 2003, at 14:26 America/Denver, Jed S. Baer wrote:

> [...]
>> logistics associated with this "partnership", then I'm ok with
>> supporting them
>> with a blurb on our web page.
>>
>>> I can't say I'm particularly fond of the "partnership" language.
>>
>> Can you suggest an alternative?  I guess I don't know what the
>> partnership entails other than Charlie's assciation with the Sierra
>> Club.  Would saying CLUE members or CLUE volunteers in association or
>> conjunction with Sierra Club volunteers be preferrable to you.  What
>> in
>> particular makes you uncomfortable with the partnership language?
>
> Well, Charlie included alternate language.
>
> I'm unhappy about any implied endorsement. I don't think CLUE should
> be in
> the business of taking any positions, even by implication of
> association,
> with anything outside the world of Linux. Our membership is diverse.
>
> Just for the sake of illustrating the point, here's some possible
> language:
>
> "CLUE, in partnership with the NRA ..."
>
> "CLUE, in parthership with Handgun Control, Inc. ..."
>
> "CLUE, in partnership with Planned Parenthood ..."
>
> "CLUE, in partnership with the Catholic Church ..."
>
> So, there are two questions. Is CLUE willing to be an "official"
> sponsor?
> I dunno. Depends on what "official" means, and it doesn't appear to me
> that we have much in the way of history to go on here.
>
> I have no objection to putting useful info on the website, in fact, I
> encourage it. How to do so without implying endorsement of or
> association
> with other groups? I'm afraid my brain hasn't gotten a handle on that
> yet.
> Charlie's alternate language "Some CLUE members, working with the
> Sierra
> Club Foundation, are ..." sounds pretty benign, until we substitue some
> quite repugnant group for the Sierra Club. And, of course then, the
> question is, repugnant to whom?
>
> jed
>
>>> Begin forwarded message:
>>>
>>> Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 21:17:46 -0600
>>> From: Charlie Oriez <charlie.oriez at rmc.sierraclub.org>
>>>
>>> Some CLUE members (Alex Young, Matt Gushee, a few others) are working
>>> with the Sierra Club to accept donations of used computers, install
>>> linux, and get them into Denver schools.  Depending on whether or not
>>> CLUE is willing to be an official sponsor or not, I'd like a version
>>> of
>>> the following to appear on your site.
>>>
>>> (CLUE, in partnership with | Some CLUE members working with) the
>>> Sierra
>>> Club Foundation (is | are) accepting donations of used computers,
>>> installing linux on them, and donating them to Denver area schools.
>>> This new program will be modeled after the StRUT program
>>> <http://strut.org> that has put 22,000 donated computers into Oregon
>>> schools and kept 1400 tons of hardware out of landfills.  To
>>> for the program or donate large quantities of computers, contact