[CLUE-Admin] Fw: Item for website news section (Sat Aug 2 2003 09:17 pm)

Lynn Danielson lynnd at techangle.com
Mon Aug 4 18:45:55 MDT 2003

Jed S. Baer wrote:

>Lynn Danielson <lynnd at techangle.com> wrote:
>
>>Jed S. Baer wrote:
>>
>>>I can't say I'm particularly fond of the "partnership" language.
>>>

>>What in particular makes you uncomfortable with the partnership language?
>>

>I'm unhappy about any implied endorsement. I don't think CLUE should be in
>the business of taking any positions, even by implication of association,
>with anything outside the world of Linux. Our membership is diverse.
>
>Just for the sake of illustrating the point, here's some possible
>language:
>
>"CLUE, in partnership with the NRA ..."
>"CLUE, in parthership with Handgun Control, Inc. ..."
>"CLUE, in partnership with Planned Parenthood ..."
>"CLUE, in partnership with the Catholic Church ..."
>
>So, there are two questions. Is CLUE willing to be an "official" sponsor?
>I dunno. Depends on what "official" means, and it doesn't appear to me
>that we have much in the way of history to go on here.
>
>I have no objection to putting useful info on the website, in fact, I
>encourage it. How to do so without implying endorsement of or association
>with other groups? I'm afraid my brain hasn't gotten a handle on that yet.

I see your point and I agree.  I wonder if Charlie would mind if we
simply drop
 the Sierra Club partnership wording and leave it something like, "Some CLUE
members (Alex Young, Matt Gushee, a few others) are working to accept
donations
of used computers, install linux, andget them into Denver schools"?

Fwiw,

Lynn