[CLUE-Admin] Re: CLUE-Tech post from admin@clue.denver.co.us requires approval

Lynn Danielson lynnd at techangle.com
Mon Aug 4 18:36:03 MDT 2003

Jed S. Baer wrote:

>On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 10:59:19 -0600
>Lynn Danielson <lynnd at techangle.com> wrote:
>
>>We're getting more and more mail like this, where
>>folks are mnuning their email
>>to look like it was sent from someone on our server.
>>

>It'd help to see some representative headers.

OK:

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 16:51:16 -0600
From: admin at clue.denver.co.us
To: Clue-talk <clue-talk at clue.denver.co.us>
Subject: your account                         crvaavwa

>The first thing that comes to my mind is to use SpamAssasin, or some other
>bayseian type filtration. The other thing is to require that the From:
>header domain match the originating machine, or something like that. I
>know there are some problems with that, though.

Yeah the reverse DNS lookup can be a problem, but I'm beginning to think
it's an acceptable one.  But since they are directly using our own sendmail
server as their smtp server, it wouldn't do any good in this case.  I
believe
we're what is referred to as an open relay.  Which leaves us open to some
horrible abuses.  I haven't been paying attention to our logs, so as far
as I
know our server could be getting used to spam the world.  But if we're going
to offer email aliases as a membership benefit, it needs to remain open to
some extent.

Later,

Lynn