[CLUE-Admin] Re: CLUE-Tech post from admin@clue.denver.co.us requires approval

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Tue Aug 5 12:57:11 MDT 2003

Lynn Danielson wrote:
[...]
> You're right, when I use lynn.danielson at clue.denver.co.us I send it
> eiher through Techangle's or IHS's smtp server and specify the clue
> address as my from & reply-to.  I don't think I've ever used the clue
> box smtp server directly unless I was doing something on the box.
> There must be a way to set up user/passwd authentication on sendmail.
> Are we going to be using sendmail on the new box?

If all you provide is an alias, the users aren't going to need any
access to the server.  The MTA just gets their messages and passes them
on to the final destination (after expanding the alias).

There are ways to use user/passwd with MTAs, as well as to run the SMTP
session over TLS.  Doesn't seem necessary in this case.

The new box is Debian which uses Exim.  So unless the new admins change
that, no Sendmail.  (I suppose there are reasons why people still run
Sendmail but I've yet to come across one that would make me want to run it.)