[CLUE-Admin] Revolution OS -- next month's meeting

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Mon Dec 8 20:48:03 MST 2003

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 20:10:47 -0700
Lynn Danielson <lynn.danielson at clue.denver.co.us> wrote:

> >>I think this would probably be a sufficient solution.
> >
> >OK, so what's the final plan for projecting the movie? I need to know
> >what cabling I'll need to hook up the speakers to the projector. The
> >Altec system plugs into the "speaker" output on a sound card. I'll have
> >to dig up the docs for it, to see how it handles "line-out" level
> >signal. I'll need to know if I'll need RCA->phone adapters (which I
> >have). So, the questions are, what audio signals will be available, and
> >what jacks do they use.
>
> I'll be bringing my laptop.  It has miniphone headphone jack.  I suspect
> that a
> headphone output is hotter than line level, but I think it'll work fine
> with some
> volume adjustment, don't you?

I admit that I haven't any idea. Yes, headphone output is higher than line
level. After flogging the crap out of creative labs website (bletcherous,
idiot web site), I see that the "speaker" output isn't. It's a line-out.
The Altecs have an input sensitivity of 300mV, and about a 10Kohms input
impedance. I don't know what that means WRT their ability to handle higher
level outputs. I don't know if there's overload protection.

I had really assumed line-level would be available.