[CLUE-Admin] Revolution OS -- next month's meeting

Lynn Danielson lynn.danielson at clue.denver.co.us
Mon Dec 8 22:43:25 MST 2003

Jed S. Baer wrote:

>>>OK, so what's the final plan for projecting the movie? I need to know
>>>what cabling I'll need to hook up the speakers to the projector. The
>>>Altec system plugs into the "speaker" output on a sound card. I'll have
>>>to dig up the docs for it, to see how it handles "line-out" level
>>>signal. I'll need to know if I'll need RCA->phone adapters (which I
>>>have). So, the questions are, what audio signals will be available, and
>>>what jacks do they use.
>>>

>>I'll be bringing my laptop.  It has miniphono headphone jack.  I suspect that a headphone output is hotter than line level, but I think it'll work fine with some volume adjustment, don't you?
>>

>I admit that I haven't any idea. Yes, headphone output is higher than line
>level. After flogging the crap out of creative labs website (bletcherous,
>idiot web site), I see that the "speaker" output isn't. It's a line-out.
>The Altecs have an input sensitivity of 300mV, and about a 10Kohms input
>impedance. I don't know what that means WRT their ability to handle higher
>level outputs. I don't know if there's overload protection.
>
>I had really assumed line-level would be available.

So, are you afraid that you'll blow your speakers with a headphone output?
The impedance for a headphone jack is probably 8 ohms, so it wouldn't be
a bad mismatch.  I think if we started with the volume down and slowly
brought it up, we could safely use the headphone jack.  But if you'd prefer,
I can probably bring a regular dvd player instead of my laptop.  It would
require rca jacks.  Otherwise, I can bring my speaker system.  It's not much
but it should generate enough volume for everyone in the room to hear it.

Lynn