[CLUE-Admin] Revolution OS -- next month's meeting

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Dec 9 12:04:00 MST 2003

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 22:43:25 -0700
Lynn Danielson <lynn.danielson at clue.denver.co.us> wrote:

> >I had really assumed line-level would be available.
> >

> So, are you afraid that you'll blow your speakers with a headphone
> output? The impedance for a headphone jack is probably 8 ohms, so it
> wouldn't be a bad mismatch.  I think if we started with the volume down
> and slowly brought it up, we could safely use the headphone jack.  But
> if you'd prefer, I can probably bring a regular dvd player instead of my
> laptop.  It would require rca jacks.  Otherwise, I can bring my speaker
> system.  It's not much but it should generate enough volume for everyone
> in the room to hear it.

It isn't just whether the output would damage the input section of the
Altecs (built-in amplifier), it would be the result that we then wouldn't
have sound for the movie.

Using a DVD player is the most conservative option, provided the CLUE
projector will take NTSC video input, or S-Video, or something provided by
the DVD player. I will do some experimenting here and see if anything
obvious suggests itself. My DVD player has multiple output capabilities,
which I've never examined, since I have just this plain old TV.