[CLUE-Admin] CVS pserver connection failure

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Mon Dec 22 16:35:16 MST 2003

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 16:02:52 -0700
"Jed S. Baer" <thag at frii.com> wrote:

> In looking around the CLUE server at /etc/inetd.conf and in the
> /etc/rc.d/init.d directories, I can't even tell how the pserver would be
> getting started.

OK, here's the latest. After putting the canonical incantation into
/etc/inetd.conf, things still weren't working. The CVS info page mentions
that some implementation of inet have problems with size/number of
arguments, and the workaround is to run the pserver from a shell script.
So, that's what's happening now.

[ line from /etc/inetd.conf ]
cvspserver stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/bin/run_pserver

[ run_pserver shell script ]
#!/bin/bash
exec /usr/bin/cvs -f --allow-root=/usr/local/cvsroot pserver

I don't know that there's a system notebook, or anything like that for the
server. Maybe there should be. Anyway, this configuration works for my CVS
login, and mail gets delivered to CLUE-Dev as coming from
pubcvs at clue.denver.co.us.

If anyone knows of any problems this might create, please holler. (I note
that AFAICT this is functionally identical to how pserver would have been
running previously, and I have no knowledge of any security problems which
might exist.)

Now, back to my regularly scheduled hacking of the log.pl script.

http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/