[CLUE-Admin] Meeting dates/times stability (was RE: Oops, RE: Jeffco RedHat presentations for CLUE (South and North)

Lynn Danielson lynnd at techangle.com
Tue Feb 25 17:19:24 MST 2003

Crawford Rainwater wrote:
 > Dave and Lynn and company,
 >
 > I do agree and understand the idea of having things consistent
 > with the CLUE-North meetings and speaking on behalf of the CLUE-
 > North "lackies" we do appreciate the input and guidance given.

Crawford,

I'm glad you agree and if you guys can work towards that
goal, that's great.  I understand that circumstances can
dictate what we do and it's not always ideal.  If we ever
bring in someone like Richard Stallman, Jon Hall or Eric
Raymond I think that would easily justify having our
meeting on different night or possibly even scheduling
an extra meeting as a special event.  I applaud you guys
for building another Denver LUG.  What's most important
for consistancy is a core group of volunteers.  I hope
you all stick with it for a while.

In the eight years that I've been involved with CLUE, it
has had its ups and downs.  I don't believe it's ever been
stronger than it is right now under Jeff Cann's leadership.
But it's taken time and a core group of volunteers to get
where we are.

As the group has grown, we've found more members willing to
contribute and we've managed to attract a number of great
people to the group.  There's always been a number people
who seem to show up to take what they can get and leave
without giving much back.  One can only hope that eventually
they come around.  I'm not sure at what point it happened for
us, but there definitely was something of a critical mass
effect that happened for us.  At a certain point there were
enough people willing to contribute to group either through
presentations or administrative support that the club seems
to have become more self sustaining.  My point in all of
this is that it can take sometime to build up your LUG.  I
hope that CLUE North can get to that point sooner than CLUE
South did.  But if you forge ahead with some patience, I'm
sure you'll get there.

I don't consider any of you who are volunteering your time
and effort to build a new LUG "lackeys" in any sense of the
word.  Having a free place to meet can be very important
and has been a ruling factor in CLUE's past decisions about
where and when to meet.  Wish us luck as CLUE South moves
to the Radisson S.E..  I believe this move will be a positive
change for us.

 > The rest of our general meetings will be at Regis, most
 > on the 3rd Thursday of the month, most in the same room.

I don't want to critisize your meeting night, but I will
mention that several years back CLUE used to meet on
the third Thursday.  It was problematic primarily around
the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays.  I beleive you've
already discovered this.  We moved our meeting night to
an earlier day in the month.  We lost a few members when
we did so, but in the long run it has definitely been for
the best.

I'm looking forward to Otis' meeting at Jeffco.  Thanks
for setting it up.  Kudo's also for the biographical
information you got on Solvieg.  I may be borrowing some
of it. :-)

Later,

Lynn