[CLUE-Admin] Proposed language for email lists . . . please comment

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jzb at dissociatedpress.net
Fri Mar 14 18:54:18 MST 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 17:20, El Presidente de CLUE wrote:
> By subscribing to any of the CLUE email lists, you agree to the following
> terms:
>
> 1.  You will not send commercial offers directly or indirectly to the CLUE
> email lists.

Too vague. "I have a video card to sell" could be construed as a
"commercial offer" and I think we all want to allow that type of message
as long as it's not excessive. (ie, twenty follow-up messages. "Hey, I
still have that video card." "Anyone want that video card?" "I'll drop
the price..." Etc.)

> 2.  You will not harvest, collect, or in any other way use CLUE member email
> addresses for any commercial use.

How about:

Harvesting or collecting CLUE members' e-mail addresses for the purpose
of mass marketing are prohibited.

This allows me to e-mail someone else and ask if they are still
interested in buying that car we talked about at the last meeting, but
prohibits me from sending a mass e-mail to sell penis enlargers.

> 3.  You will not send unsolicited, commercial emails directly or indirectly to
> members of the CLUE email lists.

This is iffy... if I do know someone personally, I should be able to
send them an e-mail that might fall under these criteria even if they
happen to be a member of the list.

> 4.  If you do of these things, you will be banned permanently from the CLUE
> email lists and possibly subject to punishment under Article 2.5 ("Colorado
> Junk Email Law") of the Colorado Revised Statutes.

I'd add something about a charge for UCE. The Debian "Code of Conduct"
is a good guide for our list, IMHO. It can be found here:

Of particular interest is the advertising policy: