[CLUE-Admin] Revolution OS -- next month's meeting

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Nov 18 17:09:22 MST 2003

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:37:46 -0700
Lynn Danielson <lynnd at techangle.com> wrote:

> I've got a copy of Revolution OS.  I'm planning to bring it along with
> the projection system and either my laptop or a DVD player.  But I'm
> wondering about audio.  I suppose I could disconnect my desktop PC
> speaker system and bring that along, but I'd rather not.  Primarily
> because it'll be a pain, but also because I'm not sure how well my 10
> watt system will project through the conference room.  Can anyone
> else help us out with that next month or offer a better solution?

Several ideas come to mind. I have an amplified sub/satellite speaker
system will work just fine, I think. It's Altec, which is pretty good
stuff. I can testify that it's capable of much more volume than I can
tolerate sitting at the computer.

If we want to err on the side of caution, I have a pair of NHT Zero
speakers. They're small enough to be easily transported, but will deliver
more than adequate sound for the room. But, it's extremely impractical for
me to bring the rest of the stero system. If someone has either an
integrated amplifier, or a receiver, and is willing to bring that, I also
have more than sufficient cabling to make whatever hookups we need.

I'm more concerned, actually, about speaker placement. It would be
advisable to have them spaced far apart, and elevated. This argues for
using the NHTs, but I'd have to cogitate a bit as to how to get them up on
some sort of stands.

Is somebody planning on bringing just a plain DVD player to run this on?
Nothing against using Xine, mplayer, awtv, or whatever, I'm just curious.
The projector will take a variety of video inputs?

A further question. I'm assuming no KISS session, and the meeting starts
at 7:00PM. I'll look for an abstract for the meeting at the revolution-os
website.

Will there be popcorn, Jujubees, Milk Duds, etc. available? ;-)