[CLUE-Admin] Revolution OS -- next month's meeting

Lynn Danielson lynnd at techangle.com
Fri Nov 21 11:08:18 MST 2003

Jed S. Baer wrote:

>Lynn Danielson <lynnd at techangle.com> wrote:
>
>>... Revolution OS. ... I'm wondering about audio.  Can anyone
>>else help us out with that next month or offer a better solution?
>>

>Several ideas come to mind. I have an amplified sub/satellite speaker
>system will work just fine, I think. It's Altec, which is pretty good
>stuff. I can testify that it's capable of much more volume than I can
>tolerate sitting at the computer.

I think this would probably be a sufficient solution.

>... I have a pair of NHT Zero speakers. They're small enough to be easily transported, but will deliver more than adequate sound for the room. ... If someone has either an integrated amplifier, or a receiver, and is willing to bring that, I have ... sufficient cabling ...

It's been a few days since you posted this and no one has offered an
amp.  We've got a couple weeks for someone to make an offer to
help out, but I think the safe be is just to plan on the powered
satellite/subwoofer system.

>I'm more concerned, actually, about speaker placement. It would be
>advisable to have them spaced far apart, and elevated.

I figured we'd simply stack some chairs for speaker stands.  But if
you can come up with a better idea, that would be fine with me.

>Is somebody planning on bringing just a plain DVD player to run this on?
>Nothing against using Xine, mplayer, awtv, or whatever, I'm just curious.
>The projector will take a variety of video inputs?

I'm thinking my laptop would be the easiest.  Especially if we
use your satellite speakers.  I can probably bring one of my
DVD players as an alternative.  The projector will accept vga,
component video and s-video connections.  I'm throwing a
cheap composite video cord into the projector bag, so that'll
be available in the future.  It might be nice to have an s-video
cable as well.  Any thoughts for or agains spending some of
our membership funds on this?

>A further question. I'm assuming no KISS session, and the meeting starts
>at 7:00PM. I'll look for an abstract for the meeting at the revolution-os
>website.

I know that Jeff & David were planning not to have a KISS
session.  I'm not sure about start time.   Seven o'clock is fine
with me.  I'll check on the run time for the movie.  It's not
short (2.5 hours maybe).  When do we want to do the door
prize drawing?

If you can't find a decent abstract off the web, let me know
and I'll get you something off of the dvd.

>Will there be popcorn, Jujubees, Milk Duds, etc. available? ;-)

That would be nice.  But we're not allowed to bring in food
or refreshments into the room unless it's catered.  :-(  Given
the rates for catering, that's not likely to happen.

Thanks for offering to bring in your speakers Jed!

Lynn