[CLUE-Admin] Re: almasterNew aliases and CLUE-Members list

Ronald Kuetemeier ronald at kuetemeier.com
Thu Sep 11 10:31:00 MDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 18:32, Lynn Danielson wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> I've added 35 new aliases to /etc/aliaes for the members that
> have paid dues so far.  They're in a firstname.lastname format
> and they simply point to the members preferred email address.
> I also created a new mailman list CLUE-Members (for discussion
> of membership benefits and activities) and added the above 35
> members to it.  I'll plan to maintain it.
Lynn,
before you put hundreds (hopefully) of members in an alias file.
You might want to consider exim or postfix as a MTA, both of which can
handle db queries for RCPT TO: against postgres or mysql.  IIRC there is
an example in postfix from an ISP which uses something like 'select
FORWARD_EMAIL from ADDRESS where EMAIL = '$RECIPIENT' and STATUS =
"active"' or something like it. Out of the example you can see that you
can have all kinds of info in one db, like when the member joint when
the forward will expire and ... This will also help to create some
reminder email next year when renewal is due.
Just something to consider.
I would go with exim, since I'm working on an extension and it's more
powerful and both dbs and some other are supported out of the box. Just
a personal preference.

Ronald