almasterNew aliases and CLUE-Members list

Lynn Danielson lynnd at techangle.com
Wed Sep 10 18:32:20 MDT 2003

Jeff,

I've added 35 new aliases to /etc/aliaes for the members that
have paid dues so far.  They're in a firstname.lastname format
and they simply point to the members preferred email address.
I also created a new mailman list CLUE-Members (for discussion
of membership benefits and activities) and added the above 35
members to it.  I'll plan to maintain it.

I need to talk with you my plan for giving these folks a web page
on our server.  I started a write up on this a couple of weeks ago
and I thought I saved it as a draft message, but I can't find it now.
(Maybe it's on my home machine.) The upshot of it is to add
acounts and home directories for all members, set their home
directories to be /home/username/public_html and give them a
restricted (rbash) shell to effectively lock them into that directory.
They could then use ssh and friends to maintain their webpage.
Does this sound ok to you?

I'm not sure how to best lock down a captive or restricted account.
I've seen an example and read a couple of suggestions.  They all
discourage allowing write access to the user directory, which in
this case isn't very practical.  Setting up an rbin directory for
these users may be a good idea.  Let me know if you have any
alternative ideas for approaching this problem.

Thanks,

Lynn