[CLUE-Admin] Re: Next InstallFest thoughts

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.net
Fri Apr 9 14:45:38 MDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 13:04, David Anselmi wrote:
> Crawford Rainwater wrote:
> > There was some talk after the recent InstallFest at DeVry on having them
> > a little more frequent.  I was thinking perhaps one a quarter
>
> I've never heard anything so outrageous! ;-)

Joanne said she was willing to make arrangements with DeVry for future
ones.  Gus wanted one next month, but I think that might be a little too
frequent in all honesty. ;-)

> [...]
> > The only concern I personally have is the lack of Admin or Linux savvy
> > folks at the one at DeVry, since it was myself and one of my Linux ETC
> > gents for the first part of the InstallFest until Kevin Fenzi (Boulder
> > Hacking Society leader) and another Linux ETC gent showed up after 1PM.
> > Yes, I was being dragged between 3-4 projects at once...
>
> I enjoy installfests and don't mind driving to DeVry (though naturally
> DTC area is much nicer for me).  But my weekends tend to be busy as was
> the case with the last one.
>
> For those who may not know, I've always said installfests should be
> quarterly (disclaimer: I've never been on the hook to put one on).  When
> the subject of North 'fests came up I was ambivalent because I thought
> that South should be doing them quarterly which didn't seem to leave
> much time for North to squeeze in.

I was hoping to have a nice rotation and balance between North and South
personally.

> Given what's actually happened though, alternating between North and
> South seems like a good idea.  Especially since there don't seem to be
> any others going on (BLUG, NCLUG, etc.)  As long as we can keep
> experienced people interested we should have them (even if no newbies
> show up, I'm up for a day hanging with you guys).  Obviously newbies
> only doesn't work very well.

Actually, BLUG and NCLUG had folks coming to the DeVry one due to their
lack of one.  And yes, there were quite a few newbies.  What happened to
all the Linux savvy geeks I know out there!?! ;-)

> I don't see any reason we can't say quarterly (that works out to Apr,
> Jul, Oct, Jan on the current rotation), pick dates for the next year,
> and reserve space.  It might even turn out to be possible to say 1st Sat
> of the quarter or some such.

I am game.  Other CLUE Admin (North and South) folks up for making this
sort of a standard?

--- Crawford