[clue-admin] Spam Routing Question: Why didn't it just bounce?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Wed Dec 15 17:10:25 MST 2004

OK, I get an admin message from from Mailman about receiving a bounce
message. But what it sent me wasn't a bounce message. It was spam sent to
lynn.danielson at clue.denver.co.us, which doesn't exist at all on the
machine -- not as an alias, not as an account, not in the mailman aliases.

I'm trying to figure out how this wound up getting processed by mailman as
a bounce message, or if it's Mailman that's confused, or I'm confused, or
what.

The mail I received was from Mailman-bounces to clue-dev-owner, so the
headers all match the expected path for it having been processed by
Mailman. IOW, it's not a spam sent to clue-dev-owner, spoofed to look like
a bounce message.

I see nothing on the server linking "Lynn.Danielson" to either Mailman or
clue-dev-owner.

Here are the headers Mailman included in the message it forwarded to me.
(Munged to thwart scraper bots)

Any thoughts?
jed