[clue-admin] Spam Routing Question: Why didn't it just bounce?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Wed Dec 15 17:23:06 MST 2004

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:10:25 -0700
Jed S. Baer wrote:

> OK, I get an admin message from from Mailman about receiving a bounce
> message. But what it sent me wasn't a bounce message. It was spam sent
> to lynn.danielson at clue.denver.co.us, which doesn't exist at all on
> the machine -- not as an alias, not as an account, not in the mailman
> aliases.

For testing, I sent an e-mail to lynn.danielson at clue.denver.co.us and
it bounced back to me. So I looked, and Lynn is subscribed to CLUE-dev at
that address, so the subscription message which was sent out when the list
was migrated would have bounced. I did have one of the Mailman "notify me
of bounces" things checked -- I've unchecked it now. But that still
doesn't explain the spammy message.

http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/