[clue-admin] CVS Publishing Script

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Fri Dec 17 00:32:06 MST 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:55:36 -0500
grant johnson wrote:

> Do not do a -D in the export, it is TOO limiting.  Do the export by
> tag!  Create a tag that means the current dev or test or production
> site, then create more that denote each logical version, then you can
> roll forward or back through version easily while keeping everything
> in sync, and allowing you to release one thing, while working on
> another in colaboration.

Is that a voice from the past I hear? :)

Tags are a bit cumbersome for the way we update the site right now.
Sometimes I do several updates in quick succession -- not often, but it
happens. And I haven't found any need to roll forward/backward.

> We do this via CVS with 150 developers on a multi-terabyte database
> project with a 1GB+ CVS repostory.  i can help with the details if you
> like.  It rocks.  Everyone can commit, but only release managers are
> allowed to do the tags that cause the promotions, define the releases,
> or assign releases to environments.  It is actually very easy to do.

And on the CLUE website, every commit gets immediately promoted to
"production". And it's usually immediately following this that I notice a
typo or spelling error, and do a second one within about 5 minutes.

I'd be interested in how it's possible to limit tagging to a subset of
those with commit privileges. Not that we have that as an issue here, but
it'd be good to tuck into some corner of my brain, where, I hope, it won't
get lost in the fog.

http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/