[clue-admin] User setup for "member" accounts

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Dec 28 17:54:11 MST 2004

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:36:29 -0700
Collins Richey wrote:

> Does anyone have suggestions about getting round this impass? I had
> intended to setup users with a home directory and ~/public_html for
> their webpage, but that won't work (as far as I know) without normal
> shell access.

Just FYI, turns out what was missing was the symlink from /bin/rbash to
/bin/bash.

However, just doing a little reading, I see there's more to this to have
it all work the way we want it to work (e.g. members can edit their own
website).

http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-security@lists.debian.org/msg00564.html

Now maybe it's a good thing for Collins and I to become security gurus,
but for the sake of getting member accounts up and running as quickly as
we can (is this a requirement? -- well, seems it ought to be) it'd be
great to get input from someone who is knowledgable on setting up
restricted user accounts.

Having gotten past the symlink problem, I find that the restricted user
can create a directory, but not cd to it.

Collins, you mentioned you found Lynn's scripts. Aren't there some clues
in those?

http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/
Key fingerprint = B027 FEFB 4281 CC72 67D1  4237 F2D0 D356 077A A30E