[CLUE-Admin] slooow email delivery

CLUE President president at clue.denver.co.us
Sun Feb 1 23:38:44 MST 2004

So, I'm not sure where exactly the problem(s) are with the slow delivery.

1)  The 'qrunner' cron job delivers queued email to the sendmail MTA.  It runs
every minute and according to the ~mailman/logs/qrunner file, seems to fail
frequently.  When it does it leaves stale lock files in ~mailman/locks/
directory.  The next time qrunner runs, the stale lock file prevents a new
instance from starting up.  This prevents mail from getting to MTA.

2)  The sendmail queue seems pretty large -- there are 46 messages in it.
Note that list emails are send to the group, as a single email.  Checking the
mailman post log, there should only be a few (<5 messages).

So, what's with all of the other queued emails?

I think one problem is that mailman send a reply to every post by a
non-subscriber.  So, the 30-40 spam emails we receive daily are going to
receive an automatic email reply saying 'you can't post' from mailman.  Since
these are spammer domains, I think sendmail is trying to send over-and-over
again until it figures out that the user and/or domains are bogus or relaying
is denied -- mostly it seems to be a connection refused message, according to
mailq output.

So, to combat #2 (which perhaps is causing #1), I turned off the following
mailman option for the talk, tech, admin, and announce lists (these all
receive the most spam).  This option is under 'General Options':

'Send mail to poster when their posting is held for approval?'
(default is 'Y' -- I set to 'N' for talk, tech, admin, announce)

Let's watch email response for a few days and see if this is the cause of the
problem.  If not, we can continue to explore and perhaps turn on the
notification feature again.

Colorado Linux Users and Enthusiasts (CLUE)
http://cluedenver.org/
Jeffery Cann, President