[CLUE-Admin] New Site Development

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu Jan 8 13:24:31 MST 2004

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 10:16:39 -0700
David Anselmi <anselmi at americanisp.net> wrote:

> Jed S. Baer wrote:
>
> [...]
> > Anybody have any particular suggestions. I'm sorta leary about
> > sticking it in a subdirectory of the regular site -- only because
> > that's so cluttered already. I guess it's not a big deal, as long it's
> > appropriately named to avoid confusion. This would be something such
> > as/var/apache/htdocs/site_devel/
>
> Put it in a subdir of the regular site.  You're going to alias it so it
> looks like that anyway, right?  So you'll have an indirection leading to
> some directory somewhere.  Somewhere may as well be under htdocs since
> that seems most straightforward.

Using a subdirectory of the current document root would require no
aliasing, or mod to httpd.conf, AFAIK. That's the appeal of doing it that
way.

> You can't really set up a separate virtual server since people may be
> counting on getting the regular site from any domain name.
>
> I was going to say you could use an unadvertised domain name for the
> virtual server, like linux.denver.co.us, but I see that it has a
> different IP than clue.denver.co.us.  (Perhaps an argument for us to run
> our own DNS master.)

I hadn't planned on getting that elaborate. Just using something something
such as clue.denver.do.us/beta_site/ whether that URL is a subdirectory of
the current root, or somewhere else, redirected using a directory alias in
httpd.conf.

And, actually, the more I think on it, I'd rather have it someplace other
than where the current site is. One reason is that I need to move the
config files outside of the HTML doc tree, and that winds up cluttering
the existing document root a bit more.

http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/