[CLUE-Admin] Speakers needed

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu Jul 29 21:57:33 MDT 2004

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:45:58 -0600
"David A. Jenne" <dajenne at flash.net> wrote:

> I'm trying to get speakers lined up for August 10.  I've made contact
> with a couple of possibles, but have not been able to get them to
> confirm.  Any ideas or volunteers?

Perhaps posting to CLUE-Talk asking for volunteers / referrals?

> Also, I'm not sure how to respond or whether to respond to the lecture
> below.

He has a point, although the IBM/Intel thing is a bad example. More
recently, he could have pointed to Oracle. But if his idea of a
presentation is that it's only for his own marketing benefit, as opposed
to him wanting to do it at least partly because he's an Free/Open-Source
advocate, then I agree it's not a good idea for a meeting topic.

There's an extent to which I think the same can be said of sponsorships. I
don't think we'll ever be able to convince a commercial entity that CLUE
publicity is sufficient to justify their contributions -- they have to
have their own enthusiasm for Linux (etc.) as well.

http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/