[CLUE-Admin] InstallFest extra: CD ISO server use potentially

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.net
Wed Mar 24 16:18:23 MST 2004

Skipworthy said:

> Crawford-
>
> I may not be able to make it to the installfest, but my .02c anyway...
>
> What about a lighter-weight distro for older boxes or laptops? How
> about a CD with updated libraries and some alternative window managers?
>  How about Open Office? alternatice browsers?
>
> Maybe that's a bit advanced, but if you've got the drives, why not have
>  some stuff like that available locally?
>
> Glen

Most distros have those packaged with them or you can easily grab the
source from the net.  DeVry will be allowing us to use their network out
to the internet which will permit that, and the packages and libraries you
gave as examples are typically smaller (10MB to 25MB kernel images) in
comparison to full distros (~700MB CDs).
DeVry though they are allowing us to use the internet connectivity, they
would like to not have everyone go out and try to download large files
(e.g., distro ISO images), hence the possible use of the CD-ROM rack here.
--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
P.M.B. 146
368 South McCaslin Boulevard
Louisville, CO 80027 USA
+1 (303) 604-2550 (voice)
+1 (866) 604-2550 (toll free within the US)
+1 (303) 664-0036 (fax)
http://www.linux-etc.biz (under renovations at present)