[CLUE-Admin] webserver maintenence notes

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Mar 31 20:37:29 MST 2004

Jed S. Baer wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:53:31 -0700
> CLUE President <president at clue.denver.co.us> wrote:
>
>>Logrotate is not running on the http access file - it contains every
>>access record since we fired up this server.
>
> That much I figured out. ;-)
>
> The question is, whether it's running at all.

Looks like it is since /etc/cron.daily/logrotate has this:

/usr/sbin/logrotate /etc/logrotate.conf

So you can put a conf snippet in /etc/logrotate.d to rotate what you need.

If you want to be sure, edit the cron file to add -v to logrotate, make
sure root is an alias for you're email address (in /etc/aliases) and see
if you get a message with the output when the cron job runs.

Webalizer used to send me a mail (daily IIRC) saying it failed because
it was misconfigured.  It hasn't in a while.

Shame to spend any time on this system when we have a spiffy new (well,
needs updating by now) system in the wings.  I feel bad that never went
live, wish I had time to help put it up.

Have our official sysadmins bailed or are they just too busy to tackle a
migration?  If they've bailed, who's going to keep the box(en) running
(Jed, by default?)

Perhaps those interested/stuck with the job could get together on a
weekend and make the migration happen so we're plugging the new dike
rather than the old.  I could probably come out for a day
(mini-installfest kind of party), especially if someone had a little bit
of a plan worked out.

Sorry again I can't help more.