[CLUE-Admin] Site Maintenance

Jeff Cann president at clue.denver.co.us
Tue Oct 12 06:34:55 MDT 2004

On Monday 11 October 2004 11:12 pm, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 22:34:04 -0600
>
> Collins Richey <crichey at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't have any problem helping with the effort, but I'm curious why
> > not use existing code?
>
> I just don't want to re-hash this.
> http://clue.denver.co.us/pipermail/clue-dev/2003-April/000179.html

I think we should talk about it again.  The reasons Jed gave last year was
essentially that MUG was 'huge' - [2.7 MB] download w/1200 files and that
it's not a 'clean' distro.

At that time in Apr '03, I thought OK, then let's code the features we want.
I also had the same 'code it ourselves sentiment' when I was the web master
and didn't build anything for 3 years [the current web site is from 1999,
BTW].  I did write a vague design doc, but no points for no code...

Now, it's been another year and a half since we last broached this topic
(since Apr 03) and we haven't gotten any new features on to the CLUE web
site.  I do mean 'we', not Jed, BTW since no one in CLUE is helping Jed and
like the rest of us, Jed doesn't have 20+ hours a week to write new code for
CLUE.

The original motivation of creating a dynamically written web site was to make
updates and events easier.  So easy that the webmaster (me, now Jed) wouldn't
have to touch his keyboard to update the CLUE web site.

Now, with members, it also would be convenient to give them a profile
automatically.  We also had Paul Billie providing a static calendar.   We do
not have a calendar that we can maintain.  I also set up polling software
which we used once - another manual effort.

 All in all, our current operation is much more labor intensive and there are
*still* no member pages (this was supposed to be Lynn's responsiblity, but he
was not able to do that either).

Since MUG has features we've wanted to implement, such as member logins,
member pages/profiles, polls, calendar, RSS feed, it seems like we should
just use it.  This would also make migration to the new server a snap, since
we just install MUG there.  We can copy the 'old' web site and provide links
to it if necessary [email archives will be copied].

Finally Jed said, 'The primary goal, of course, is to make things as easy on
myself as possible. ;-)'.

It seems that an already-built user group software package would make it easy
on Jed - the admins could post directly to the web site, instead of Jed doing
it by hand.  Jed has much more time to fulfil his dream of being Donald
Trump's protege :D  [or whatever Jed dreams about]

Jeff
- --
Colorado Linux Users and Enthusiasts (CLUE)
http://cluedenver.org/
Jeffery Cann, President