[clue-admin] backups, yum

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Wed Apr 13 21:47:23 MDT 2005

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 18:21:28 -0600
Robert Harper wrote:

> I tar'd up /etc, /home/ and /usr/local/cvsroot on 3/20 and depsited the
> resulting files in /tux2/backups on the hdb2 partition (safe from hda
> disk  failures).

Good deal. Could you put your backup script into /usr/local/bin? Thanks.

> Ran "yum check-update" and here is what will be installed
>
> kernel.i686 2.6.9-1.681_FC3

Since a kernel update requires a reboot to take effect, I'd hold off on
that until we can schedule a reboot.

> krb5-libs.i386 1.3.6-2
> krb5-workstation.i386 1.3.6-2

I don't know why we even have kerberos, except that IIRC I tried to remove
it, and RPM complained about dependencies, so I left it there cuz it
doesn't hurt anything.

> nscd.i386 2.3.4-2.fc3

This is the name service cache daemon. I don't think we're running it.
Might be able to remove it?

> php.i386 4.3.10-3.2
> php-mysql.i386 4.3.10-3.2
> php-pear.i386 4.3.10-3.2
> httpd.i386 2.0.52-3.1

Can you hold off on these? I'd like to test web functionality on my home
box first. Are there any security alerts associated with these?

> xorg-x11.i386
> xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL.i386
> xorg-x11-Mesa-libGLU.i386
> xorg-x11-font-utils.i386
> xorg-x11-libs.i386
> xorg-x11-tools.i386
> xorg-x11-xauth.i386
> xorg-x11-xfs.i386

If I were doing this, I wouldn't bother with any X updates. But it won't
hurt anything. Again, I would have just removed these packages, but RPM
complained about dependencies, and I try to avoid using --force.

http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/
Key fingerprint = B027 FEFB 4281 CC72 67D1  4237 F2D0 D356 077A A30E