[clue-admin] KISS. My...

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Apr 29 18:23:28 MDT 2005

Grant Johnson wrote:

>>> The PDF export is handy too so you can distribute your slides.
>>
>> How do you do that with HTML?
>>
>> ;-)
>
> There are 2 commonly available PERL scripts which will take care of you.
> The first is html2ps.   This will create a PostScript file directly from
> HTML.   Also very useful for printing in an automated background kind of
> way.
>
> The second is obviously ps2pdf, which uses GhostScript to create a PDF.

Well, I've used html2ps because my mozilla's print rendering sucks (for
both html and email).  I haven't used ps2pdf because I've only ever
printed stuff that came as ps.

> Problem solved.  I know you meant the question as a joke, as if it could
> not be done, but it can be, and I have used it on many occasions.

No, not that it couldn't be done but that your html editor (which means
vi for me and "what's that VMS editor thing" for Jed) doesn't export to PDF.

> Before PDF export existed in OpenOffice, I simply composed all documents
> in HTML, and converted to PDF with this method.

I guess it didn't occur to me that some people may use OpenOffice as an
html editor and think I was really dense.  "You click File -> Export to
PDF."  Duh.

That's what I get for trying to be funny.  And then thinking about it.
Quick, someone correct my netiquette so we can morph this thread into
something interesting. ;-)