[clue-admin] Re: [NCLUG] CLUE InstallFest, 12 Feb 2005

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.net
Tue Feb 8 08:39:04 MST 2005

Elizabeth:

InstallFest for CLUE are meant for anyone and everyone from novice and
newbie to savvy and guru to attend.  I have coordinated and attended the
past CLUE-North InstallFests at DeVry being the CLUE-North Coordinator
(I am unable to attend the upcoming one due to prior obligations out of
town though) and though we (savvy and guru) have an odd ratio of being
swamped at times with the newbie and novice questions, we typically
offer a hand to get people at least started with Linux on his/her
machine.  I will confess there are sometimes those extremely unusual
questions where something cannot be tested nor works, but in the end we
at least get people 85% to 90% up and running if not 100% in a few hours
(minus a Gentoo installation someone wanted to try which can take 2 days
with an average machine to be honest).

Students from any university are welcomed, especially since we are
hosted by DeVry University.  In fact we have had several students attend
both our meetings and InstallFests on a regular basis.

As for attending our meetings, anyone and everyone is welcomed to
attend.  CLUE-North meetings are on the fourth Mondays of the month and
CLUE(-DTC) are on the second Tuesdays of the month, however CLUE-North
is closer to Ft. Collins I will admit (one of the reasons we started
CLUE-North back in Aug 2002 was due to the distance factor for some not
being able to attend CLUE(-DTC) meetings).

As for getting students and people involved in Linux, I would actually
encourage and extend the invitation to come to the CLUE InstallFest
instead of not mentioning this event to your students.  I am wondering
about your past experiences since I have not meet you personally (at
least I cannot place your name to a face to be honest) so I cannot ask
what in particular made your InstallFest experiences seem negative not
to share this information with others.  Again, I will admit, not every
Linux savvy or guru type can answer all questions during an InstallFest,
but most of us know where to point someone that is willing to learn in
the right direction via the web typically to find out more about those
"odd problems" of an installation.

Hopefully you will decide to pass this information to your students and
maybe attend yourself.  I hope to see you there.

Sincerely,

Crawford Rainwater
CLUE-North Coordinator

--