[clue-admin] a two headed beast activities

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Mon Feb 28 18:59:10 MST 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:29:25 -0700
Gus S.Calabrese wrote:

> Gus, tell me about the position. I am not against the idea whatsoever.
> I do
> have two concerns though. Number one, am I qualified enough to do the
> required tasks. Number two, do I have the actual time to commit to the
> project. My available time would allow my making phone calls, doing
> computer
> oriented work and such. I just don't want to tell you that I will be
> able to
> be allot of different places and not be able to fulfill that obligation
> due
> to work and other things. That is why I asked you to tell me more about
> it. I
> guess most of this stems from my not really knowing anything about your
> group
> at this point.

The primary role of the activites coordinator has been, for as long as
I've been around (hmmm, is it 3 or 4 years now?) has been to setup the
installfests. That's been it. "Activities" is, I suppose, loosely defined
as any CLUE-sponsored or organized activities which don't already have a
designated officer assigned to them. For example, we have a Speakers
coordinator, whose job it is to line up speakers for our meetings.
Actually, we have two, one handling the DTC meetings, and one handling the
North meetings, and it gets a little vague there, because the "North"
coordinator handles more than that.

Don't get too hung up on being expected to take on a lot of work here. At
our last admin meeting, we were talking about how it'd be nice if we could
have installfests somewhere on the south side of town. I think that's the
#1 thing we'd like to see. Refer:
#http://clue.denver.co.us/installfest.html

As for coordinating non CLUE activies, your involvement is up to you.
There are various Linux-related things going on which we promote, even if
they're not CLUE sponsored activities. That sort of promotion is handled
on a purely ad-hoc basis, and is really just a case of whoever the
principals of those activities are asking us for a mention on the website,
an announcement at a meeting, a posting to a mailing list, etc., and don't
really fall into an assigned "duty" of the activities coordinator. Gus has
asked CLUE to participate in sort of a cross-promotion sort of a way with
an seperate Linux advocacy project he's starting up. That's an example of
this type of activity.

Really, if you wanted to do more with the position than just setup a few
installfests a year, we'd all welcome somebody taking it a little further.
But please don't be dissuaded from considering it based on an expectation
of a workload that just isn't there. Remember, this is a volunteer
organization. We'll take as much of your time as you're willing to give,
and be happy for any contribution you would like to make.

http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/
Key fingerprint = B027 FEFB 4281 CC72 67D1  4237 F2D0 D356 077A A30E