[clue-admin] User setup for "member" accounts

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Jan 1 14:48:00 MST 2005

Collins Richey wrote:
[...]
> OK, I tried again using the default filename.
>
> 1. First try I supplied no passphrase. Copied the ...authorized_keys2
> file again using scp. Attempt to connect with sftp resulted in an
> immediate connection closed.

First, the file name is authorized_keys (maybe authorized_keys2 is left
from the protocol 1 to 2 change).

Second, I'd bet sftp isn't configured (I can't look in sshd_config).

If you don't use the default file names you have to specify the private
key with -i (or ssh_agent).  If you're asked for a password, that's your
(remote) Linux password.  If you're asked for a passphrase, that's for
decrypting your private key.