[clue-admin] User setup for "member" accounts

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 16:55:59 MST 2005

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 14:48:00 -0700, David Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:
> Collins Richey wrote:
> [...]
> > OK, I tried again using the default filename.
> >
> > 1. First try I supplied no passphrase. Copied the ...authorized_keys2
> > file again using scp. Attempt to connect with sftp resulted in an
> > immediate connection closed.
>
> First, the file name is authorized_keys (maybe authorized_keys2 is left
> from the protocol 1 to 2 change).

OK, the public key file has been moved to this file name. Same results.

> Second, I'd bet sftp isn't configured (I can't look in sshd_config).

I've looked at sshd_config on the clue server and at ssh_config on my
machine, and I'm not any smarter than I was. I do know that sftp to my
own account on the clue server (a login account, but no public keys)
works. I'm trying to sftp to 'junk' on the clue server (a dummy
account that I setup as a non-login account.) Also, scp of a file to
junk at clue.denver.co.us works using the public key setup.

So, you must be right. Something (I haven't a clue what) needs to be
configured differently to allow sftp to work. When I attempt it, I get
as far as being prompted for the passphrase for the key on my end
(same as when using scp), but then sftp immediately disconnects.

> If you don't use the default file names you have to specify the private
> key with -i (or ssh_agent).  If you're asked for a password, that's your
> (remote) Linux password.  If you're asked for a passphrase, that's for
> decrypting your private key.

I'm using the default file names. When attempting either scp or sftp,
I'm prompted for a passphrase. Success with scp; failure with sftp.

Where does ssh (sftp, etc.) log its actions?

--
 Collins