[clue-admin] User setup for "member" accounts

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 19:43:37 MST 2005

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 19:09:22 -0700, David Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:
> Collins Richey wrote:
> [...]
> > I've looked at sshd_config on the clue server and at ssh_config on my
> > machine, and I'm not any smarter than I was. I do know that sftp to my
> > own account on the clue server (a login account, but no public keys)
> > works. I'm trying to sftp to 'junk' on the clue server (a dummy
> > account that I setup as a non-login account.) Also, scp of a file to
> > junk at clue.denver.co.us works using the public key setup.
>
> sftp works for me, just like for your real account and Jed's.  Look at
> the shell you have for the junk account--maybe sftp requires a real shell.

It's beginning to look that way. Here are the results of some experiments:

1. junk user with shell /bin/false - authentication ok, but immediate disconnect
2. junk user with shell /sbin/nologin (the RH thing) - 'Received
message too long 1416128883'
3. junk user with /bin/rbash -authentication ok, but immediate disconnect
4. junk user with shell /bin/bash - aok, received sftp> prompt

--
 Collins