[clue-admin] Admin meeting - topic: completing the members setup

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 21:50:34 MST 2005

Those of you who have been paying attention or who have browsed the
archives (I assume that is now working) know that Jed and I have spent
considerable time trying out and discarding various approaches to the
difficult subject of implementing member user accounts on the CLUE
server while maintaining some semblance of security. Responses from
others on this list have been sparse to say the least.

I believe the time has come to hold a meeting with all knowledgable
parties and to hammer out the approach we want to take. Each of you
has valuable knowledge to contribute, and I feel confident that we can
work out a reasonable plan together.

Just to remind you, we are looking at:

1. User email forwarding aliases for members. I have a roughly working
script to update these aliases automatically once we finalize the
personal websites. I also have the complete (as far as I know)
memberlist materials in hand (thanks, Jeff).

2. Member accounts (login or limited) to provide a personal website
for members. Jed and I have not come up with the final say on the best
way to accomplish this. We've reviewed sftp only accounts, but members
can certainly use this to upload (potentially) harmful things and
bypass the limitation of not having a login account. Essentially, we
are providing at least "mini ISP" services. Possibly we could setup a
virtual server for members that uses some port other than :80? How can
we provide maximum flexibility with minimum security exposure? Etc.
Etc.

I would suggest a Saturday meeting as soon as we can schedule one. I
am certainly not adverse to beer and food, but I would recommend
someplace other than downtown and its paid parking (uggh!).  So,
perhaps someone could suggest a place - something like Gibbeys but
more centrally located (?) or just off a freeway (?).

Your suggestions on time and place, please.

--
 Collins