[clue-admin] Server IP Change

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Dec 4 20:33:17 MST 2006

Jeff Cann wrote:
> Admins,
>
> Our network admin has informed me that we need to change the IP address
> of the CLUE server.  I believe Roy Johnston is our DNS admin for
> cluedenver.org.  I would like to coordinate this change to begin on 12/8.

Our TTL is 24 hrs so our users will average 12 hours to pick up the new
IP from DNS, during which time cluedenver.org will be unreachable to
them.  So in advance we should announce it prominently and specify the
time DNS and the IP will be updated, as best we can.  Bonus if we can
include the new IP in the announcement.

If we care to we can shorten the TTL at least 24 hours in advance and
that will shorten the down time for the users.  When we make the change
we can put the TTL back.  But I'd think that a good announcement would
be better.